St. Mary's Parish Church, Kirkgate, Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Marys Parish Church, built in the Perpendicular Gothic style
is over 500 years old. It succeeded a Norman church, traces of which
can still be seen. It is first mentioned in 1145 when Robert de
Mowbray gave it to the Augustinian Canons at Newburgh Priory. They
provided the Vicars to serve the church. The present building has
never been altered noticeably since it was built, apart from the
chancel arch. The church contains many features of historical
interest to the visitor.
The organ, one of Yorkshires most famous, and played at the wedding of the well known Yorkshire vet, James Herriot in 1941, has undergone, and still is undergoing, significant restoration. It has recently been rebuilt by Principal Pipe Organs. It has three manuals with Great 11 stops, Swell 11 stops, Choir 8 stops and Pedal 8 stops. Members of the Association, with the kind help of Alan Morton, the organist, and the church warden, had a memorable visit on 21st. June, 2008.
More information about the church can be found on www.thirsk.org.uk/stmaryt1.html
More details about the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register at http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N03003